GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) Privacy Rights
It gives citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA) certain rights when you use services that process personal data. To allow you to exercise these rights, we made changes, so you can now better control your data.
The GDPR provides the following rights for individuals, many of which apply whatever the basis of processing, although there are some exceptions:
1. The right to be informed how personal data is processed
2. The right of access to their personal data
3. The right to rectification
4. The right to erasure
5. The right to restrict processing
6. The right to data portability
7. The right to object
8. Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling
If you believe we have the wrong data about you, or that your data is incomplete, or you want to delete your data, or you want to object to the processing of certain forms of data or just want to access it and receive a file from us containing this data, feel free to contact us.
Use the links below to jump to specific information concerning our privacy practices. As a gay social networking application, the WeAre App collects and shares sensitive information concerning its members including their sexual orientation and location. This policy also explains how you can control your personal information.
- What We Collect.
- How We Use Your Information.
- Where We Share.
- Your Choices.
- How We Protect Personal Information.
- Miscellaneous Information.
What We Collect.
We collect personal data and non-personal data about you. “Personal Data” means any data that allows someone to identify or contact you.
- Account Credentials. We require you to provide an email address and password to use the WeAre App or other WeAre Services. In the future, we may also ask you to provide your phone number for account authentication purposes.
- Device Information. We collect certain software and hardware information about your Device. For example, we collect an ID that is unique to the device or browser on which you install and/or access the WeAre Services (“Device ID” and “Device,” respectively).
- Location and Distance Information. When you use the WeAre App, we will collect your location to determine your distance from other users (“Distance Information”) through the GPS, Wi-Fi, and/or cellular technology in your Device. Your last known location may be stored for the purpose of calculating Distance Information between you and other users.
- Messages. When you send a message (which could include photos, location, audio, or video) to other users of the WeAre Services, we may retain the message as necessary under applicable law.
- Profile Information. We collect Personal Data from you. For example, in the WeAre App, we collect information that you voluntarily provide, such as your photo, display name, relationship status, ethnicity, age or date of birth, geo-location data, email address, password for the WeAre Services, height, weight, social network link, “Looking For,” “About Me,” “Favorites,” “Blocks,” and any other information that you add to your profile on the WeAre App or that is generated through your use of the WeAre Services. As a result, you should carefully consider what information to include in your profile.
Note that our third party service providers may provide certain information to us (e.g., your name, phone number, partial credit card number, and email address).
- Feedback/Support. If you provide us feedback or contact us for support we will collect your name and e-mail address and possibly other Personal Data, as well as any other content that you send to us in order to reply and address any issue. If you contact us for support, we may also collect and retain certain technical diagnostic data, such as your phone model.
- Mailing List. When you sign up for the WeAre Services, we collect your email address to send you WeAre news, WeAre Services updates, the latest information on products and services, and third party offers.
- Partner Promotion. We collect information that you provide as part of a Partner Promotion (defined below).
- Third Party Platforms. If you use or connect to the WeAre Site or download the WeAre Services through a third party platform, such as Facebook, you allow us to access and/or collect certain information from your third party platform profile/account. We may also access information contained in cookies placed on your Device by the third party platform. Note that we may share this information with the third party platform for their use.
How We Use Your Information.
In addition to the uses described above, we use your Personal Data in the following ways:
- Identify You. To identify you as a user on the WeAre Services.
- Provide Products and Services. To provide the products and services you request, including the WeAre Services.
- Improve Services. To improve the WeAre Services.
- Communicate with you. To respond to your inquiries related to support, employment opportunities, or other requests, and to send Promotional Emails to those users that request or authorize them.
- Partner Promotions. To conduct a Partner Promotion that you request.
- Marketing and Advertising. For marketing and promotional purposes, including to inform you of products, services or offers of WeAre, our related companies or business partners that may be of interest to you. Marketing and advertising material provided by WeAre may appear within our App, on our website, on Apps owned by third parties, or on websites controlled by third parties. The marketing and advertising may relate to WeAre’s products or services, or may relate to the products or services of companies that have asked us to advertise to you.
- Administration. For internal administrative purposes, as well as to administer or manage our relationship with you, including to communicate with you regarding your use of WeAre Services.
- Employment. If you apply for employment with WeAre or currently work for WeAre, to manage your employment application, assess your qualifications, and manage your employment with us (applies solely to the WeAre Site).
In addition to the specific situations discussed above, we disclose Personal Data in the following situations:
- User Profiles. The WeAre App is a social networking platform that is designed to allow users to share information. When you use the WeAre App, your Profile Information is public, and other users of the WeAre App can see your Profile Information and other Personal Data (including sensitive personal data) posted by you. For example, other users can search for you, search for your profile characteristics, or see you listed as being in their vicinity. Do not include information in your profile that you want to keep private. For example, if you do not want your HIV status to be known, you should not include that information in your WeAre profile. While the WeAre App permits you to make certain items (e.g., Profile Information, preferences, opinions of other users, or other information) non-public, sophisticated users who use the WeAre App in an unauthorized manner may nevertheless be able to obtain this information and may be able to determine your identity.
- Distance Information. The WeAre App is designed to allow users to share Distance Information. As a result, Distance Information is public, and other users of the WeAre App can see your Distance Information (including how many feet or meters you are from them). WeAre App users can use the search feature in the WeAre App to search for other users by distance or in a particular geographic vicinity. Your Distance Information will be used for these searches. Sophisticated users who use the WeAre App in an unauthorized manner, or other users who change their location while you remain in the same location, may use this information to determine your exact location and may be able to determine your identity. Please note: even if you choose to hide your Distance Information, the WeAre App will continue to sort and display your profile based on your relative distance from other users, so your Distance Information may still be approximated by other users. Thus, even if you choose to hide your Distance Information, others may nevertheless be able to determine your location.
- Other Disclosures. WeAre may disclose Personal Data in response to subpoenas, warrants, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process, or to comply with relevant laws; to establish or exercise our rights to defend against legal claims; if we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, violation of our policies, or as otherwise required by law.
You can make the following choices regarding your Personal Data:
- Promotional Emails. You may choose during the registration process to provide us with your email address for the purpose of allowing us to send free newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials related to WeAre and/or the WeAre Services, as well as targeted offers from third parties. You can stop receiving promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in e-mails that you receive. If you decide not to receive promotional emails, we may still send you service related communications, and our applications may deliver notifications directly to your mobile device in the WeAre App.
- Effect Of Opting Out Of Behavioral Advertising. Please note that opting-out of behavioral advertising does not mean that you will not receive advertising while using the WeAre Services. It will, however, exclude you from interest-based advertising conducted through participating networks, as provided by their policies and choice mechanisms.
- Changes To Your Personal Data. WeAre relies on you to update and correct your Personal Data. You can modify or delete your profile within the WeAre Services. Please note that WeAre may keep historical information and content in our backup files and archives as permitted by law and to the extent we anticipate that the information may be required in connection with the original purpose of the collection, or as otherwise permitted or required by law.
- Access To Your Personal Data. If required by law, upon request, WeAre will grant a user reasonable access to the Personal Data that WeAre holds about the user. All requests must be in accordance with the applicable Terms and Conditions of Service and be directed to the contact in the “Contact Information” section of the WeAre Services.
How We Protect Personal Information
WeAre takes steps to help protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. That said, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is fully secure, and WeAre cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Data. In the event that we are required by law to inform you of any unauthorized access to your Personal Data, we may notify you electronically, in writing, or by telephone, if permitted to do so by law.
The following additional information relates to our privacy practices:
- Permissible Age. The WeAre Services are intended for users 18 years of age and older only (twenty-one (21) years of age in places where eighteen (18) years is not the age of majority). We do not intentionally gather Personal Data about visitors who are under the age of majority. If you are aware that a child or minor has submitted Personal Data on the WeAre Services, please contact us using the information provided below so that we can take appropriate action.
- Transmission Of Data To Other Countries. Your Personal Data may be processed in the country in which it was collected and in other countries, including the United States, where laws regarding Personal Data may be less stringent than the laws in your country. Therefore, in some circumstances, you might be left without a legal remedy in the event of a privacy breach. By submitting your Personal Data, you agree to this transfer, storage and/or processing, including all associated risks.
WeAre will also initiate an investigation if you contact us with a complaint against our privacy practices or a concern that our practices do not conform to the requirements in your jurisdiction. We will attempt, where practical, to ensure ongoing compliance with any legal obligations.
Effective Date: 15/11/2018, or user acceptance.